Shane Baseden

Sutton Group -West Coast Realty

Cell 604.315.9686

Office 604.415.9800



Laneway Homes in New West?


How do you feel about "Laneway Housing" and the possibility of these types of homes coming to New West? The added income potential, or just a place for my kids to live in while they attend University in this very expensive part of the world has its appeal, but at what cost?


The following is an article from Please read...




A  laneway house is a smaller, detached home located in place of or atop a garage on a single-family lot that opens onto the back lane.

Proponents favour a ‘made for New Westminster’ laneway housing policy:

  •  It’s a mortgage-helper option for seniors who want to stay in their neighbourhoods but are unable to maintain a larger home. It allows them to remain close to family and remain independent.
  •  An affordable option for younger family members and students who otherwise can’t afford to live in the neighbourhood.
  • It’s contributes to the store of affordable rental housing available in the city, providing additional choice to families who want to live in the community in which they work.
  • If built to community-supported guidelines, laneway housing makes the city’s urban lanes more green, livable and safe.

Opponents view laneway housing as a threat to single-family neighbourhood quality of life:

  • Laneway housing places undue stress on single-family neighbourhoods, increasing the density and impacting travel corridors.
  •  It’s selective – under the current framework, laneway housing is restricted to family members so it doesn’t alleviate the issue of affordable housing for all low to mid-income families.
  • Depending on the site, there can be a privacy impact on privacy for surrounding neighbours.
  • Affordable is a relative term. With current laneway construction firms, the typical price to construct a 750-1,000sq. ft. laneway house starts at about $270K.

Earlier this year, City of New Westminster staff presented an Accessory Dwelling Unit work plan  to council determine the feasibility and interest in amending current zoning bylaws to allow for the construction of coach houses and laneway homes in residential areas.

Summary of report prepared by New Westminster staff for Council

“Detached accessory dwelling units add to the supply and variety of housing in single-family areas while maintaining their character and promoting more efficient use of the land…This housing option has been well-received in other cities, including the City of Vancouver and North Vancouver. This report outlines a work plan to develop a ‘made in New Westminster’ approach to examine the interest in, and feasibility of detached accessory housing units in single detached neighbourhoods.”

The study will include feedback from other municipalities who permit laneway housing and a community consultation process (with draft zoning bylaw requirements and guidelines as a basis of discussion for eligible neighbourhoods).  That would be followed by a zoning bylaw amendment process, implementation and monitoring.

The neighbourhoods of Queen’s Park and Queensborough are excluded from the study because the Queen’s Park area is undertaking a neighbourhood planning process with the city and Queensborough is located in a flood plain with few locations for laneway housing.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.